As I am an air sign with Libra, I am obsessed with breath work. Using the correct breathing techniques really helps you to ground yourself, get more oxygen in and just by breathing correctly, you will be able to feel better, stand taller, use your muscles better and also tone your tummy (now who doesn't want a bit of that). So lets get into the nitty gritty of it and the wonderful world of breathing.
The more you visualise, the more oxygen you will be getting into your body. This in turn will then lower your blood pressure, lower the cortisol levels (stress hormone), and make you feel so much better. It's like a little love note to your body, just by breathing correctly.
Now lets start at the start. In everyday breathing, we tend not to breathe correctly. We shallow breath a lot and this then isn't getting the oxygen and nutrients to our brain that we need. It is also allowing the cortisol levels to increase because again the oxygen levels are lower. We are not using the intercostal muscles (the muscles in between the ribs) correctly so this is making them not work to their full potential. To do this, we need to really take fuller bigger breaths.
Breathing with your belly
Diaphragmatic Breathing Method
The most basic type of diaphragmatic breathing is done by inhaling through your nose and breathing out through your mouth.
Diaphragm breathing basics
Here’s the basic procedure for diaphragmatic breathing:
- Sit in a comfortable position or lie flat on the floor, your bed, or another comfortable, flat surface.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Put a hand on your chest and a hand on your stomach.
- Breathe in through your nose for about two seconds. You should experience the air moving through your nostrils into your abdomen, making your stomach expand. During this type of breathing, make sure your stomach is moving outward while your chest remains relatively still.
- Purse your lips (as if you’re about to drink through a straw), press gently on your stomach, and exhale slowly for about two seconds.
- Repeat these steps several times for best results.
What is your sun sign or star sign? I would love to know if you are a fellow Libran and do you survive on breathe work? Leave a comment below.
What is your go to stress relief method, let me know by leaving a comment below.
If you have found this post helpful then please share by clicking the image below.
Have a great day.
Lots of love xxx